Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Sunday fun

Thank you for all the encouraging comments on my last post. It's so nice to 'hear' from people who read this blog. And it was great to read all of your words after spilling my feelings on here. I have some beautiful pictures of Sawyer that I plan on posting next and I'll share a little more then too.

We had such a nice day together on Sunday. We visited a new church and really enjoyed it even though we knew right away it wasn't the place for us. Then we spent the afternoon watching football and I made this lovely recipe from Karli that I had to share as well. ( Hope you don't mind Karli!)




Tomato and Goat Cheese Quiche

6 servings







Prepare and fit into a 9-inch pie dish a basic pie or pastry dough shell**

Brush dough with beaten egg yolk and refrigerate

Set a rack on lowest position in the oven and preheat to 400F

Seed, core, and quarter 1 lb tomatoes

Crumble and blend in a large bowl:
4 to 6 oz soft fresh goat cheese
3/4 cup half and half or heavy cream
1/2 cup milk

Add and whisk until smooth:
3 eggs
1 TBLS chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 3 TBLS chopped fresh basil
1/4 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste

Arrange most of the tomato quarters in the prepared pastry shell like the spokes of a wheel. Fill in the center with the remaining tomato quarters. Pour the cheese mixture over the tomatoes. Bake until the top is golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes (or longer) to set before slicing.

**Awhile ago I found this pastry shell recipe that is so quick, easy, and delicious that I use it for nearly all my pies and quiches now.

____________________________

Pate Brisee
makes 1 9"-10" tart/quiche shell

1- 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 TBLS ice water

Put the flour and salt into a food processor and pulse until combined. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. With the motor running, slowly add the ice water and process until dough starts coming together (forms a ball). Remove, pat into disk, and wrap in plastic wrap to chill in fridge for at least 1 hour.

____________________________

I took Karli's suggestion and served it with a nice green salad. So yummy!


After dinner we carved our little pumpkins

Enjoying the slimy innards way too much

Dad trying out the "scary" smile

Ian's turn

Sawyer enjoying the view from the safety of his highchair

Concentrating on drawing and cutting out the faces

Making the final touches

And here they are...'scary' and what was supposed to be 'surprised' but turned out to look like a crazed rabbit.
After the pumpkin carving, Jeremy gave Ian a bath and Sawyer sat in the kitchen watching as I made an apple crisp for dessert. It was such a great day!

PRINT THIS POST

6 comments:

Annagrace said...

How fun--I love days like this...good, homemade food, family, togetherness, memories...

It would be fun to meet your boys and see you again after many (argh!) years. We're pretty relaxed and low-key but it's always fun to share a pot of (decaf) french-press or tea.

Annagrace said...

Oh and re what you said, I totally agree! I have a hard time with a lot of the "mommy culture" of opinions and criticism from complete strangers and "experts". My heart is for real relationship and parenting with my heart as well as my mind.

Bonnie and Fred said...

What great pictures! The food looks fabulous, and the kids (Jeremy, Ian) are having a super time. You're right Andrea, Ian is having way too much fun scooping out the innards! Sawyer seems to be content to watch and then get to lick the spoon. Cute faces on the pumpkins too!

Karli Del Biondo said...

I love those pumpkin carvings! Jeremy looks like he had fun doing it. I'm glad you guys had such a nice day together! I've got to make some apple crisp--that sounds delicious!
Karli

Adam and Raechell said...

Classic family fun...very nice. ;)

Tasha Lehman said...

I made an apple crisp this weekend and just finished off a bowl with some ice cream. Can't get any better than that! I haven't been as brave as you to try carving pumpkins with my boys. I would forsee pumpkins guts in my hair or something. Maybe next year...