Monday, November 17, 2008

Never a dull moment...

The many faces of Ian.





I can hardly ever get him to sit and draw but ask him to be a dinosaur, tiger, lion, cheetah, leopard, or any type of animal (especially a meat eater) and this kid will pull out all the stops. He will be 4 years old in 3 short months and I'm beginning to see this huge creative side to him. A side I thought would emerge through coloring or building tracks for his cars, but instead it's come out in role playing and making up stories.

It confirms to me even more that both he and Sawyer need time to be quiet and play. No schedules, no agendas, no sitting at the table learning ABC's or numbers. All that will come in time. Right now I want them to be kids, or dinosaurs, or lions, or whatever their minds can come up with and just have fun.

We've chosen not to put him in preschool. We know that whatever he needs to learn there, he can learn right here at home. It's a personal decision I know. But it's one we felt pretty strongly about for Ian. We have a very open schedule at home aside from meal times and naps for Sawyer. So it means the boys can read and play all they want, with whatever they want, inside and outside (which is very important!). I am more concerned that they have lots of time to discover and explore the world around them, then I am with Ian learning to read or to count.

It works really well for us. Our days are not rushed, the boys are happy, and there is plenty of time for dinosaurs and lions to roam the house uninterrupted... which is obviously, very important to Ian.

PRINT THIS POST

5 comments:

Meghan said...

The third and fourth pictures really made me laugh! They remind me of faces that Jeremy or Adam would make

Linda said...

I couldn't agree more Andrea. We started our oldest in preschool, and then I decided it was much more beneficial for him to just be home with Mom and the new baby brother.
I always use the same little example, but it taught me a great deal and helped me to relax! I worked with my oldest for such a long time teaching him to tie his shoes (no velcro straps in those days). When his little brother came along I decided to just wait on it. When he showed an interest, his older brother taught him in just a few minutes! Ah the agony I could have spared his big brother :-)
There is so little time for them to just revel in childhood. I am sad about the amount of homework my little granddaughters bring home from elementary school. Can't they get the required work done during the day? They should be able to come home and PLAY! Okay - I'm climging down from my soap box now. I think you have made a very wise decision.

Annagrace said...

I love this--it's all so true. Why are we pushing 3 and 4 year-olds to achieve, achieve? Kids need to be, experience, and explore. When they do, everything falls into place at the right time and not a moment too late. Good job, Mama.

Anonymous said...

I see quite a few of those faces around our zoo/jungle quite often too! I agree whole heartedly about keeping the boys at home. Chase and Charlie are learning so much from their time here at home with me, trips to the Library and playing in the quiet (perhaps not the best word there) spaces of their own home.

Anonymous said...

We didn't put Will in preschool, and I'm not sure he's even ready for Kindergarten (3 months in!). Hunter, on the other hand, BEGS to do school work and craves the interaction with other kids so voraciously, that I think we might put him in next Fall. Their little personalities are so different...