Monday, January 25, 2010

Life list for 2010


(Gluten-free crepes. Delicious.)*

January 25th and I'm just now thinking about what I'd like to do for this year. I think it takes me longer than most to actually get moving on something. I tend to think of an idea, let it roll around in my head for 6 months, and then start to move on it. I don't usually make New Year's resolutions because there's nothing important about the date to make me stick them out. Plus, I'm usually recovering from the holidays and all I want to do is rest my brain for awhile.

But now that January is almost over and I've had time to sit and think about 2010, the ideas are coming. If there is one thing I have learned since becoming a mama, is that life is ours to make. I spent so much of my early adult years, married with no kids, worried about life and the future and getting caught up in what we had and didn't have.

From the first moment Ian was born and the years after, I have realized my thoughts on life, on our life, have changed dramatically. One thing I know for certain is that I'm doing exactly what I've dreamed of. Being a stay-at-home mama to 2 (almost 3!) boys and wanting to spend every moment with them and Jeremy. I don't dream of a daytime job, I don't dream of a ministry in the church or elsewhere, I don't wish my days away wanting to get out of the house or needing something to keep me from getting bored. I realize we have the freedom to make our days exactly what we want. And how my greatest wish for all of us is that we embrace living and enjoy it all, no matter how hard life may seem or how happy the current moment is. This is my life, my family. Every morning is ours to live, ours to be happy, ours to grab hold of and I plan on making it the best I can.

So with that in mind... my inspired list for 2010:

1. Have a baby! (See? Starting out positive with something I know I can do)
2. Get to the library every week
3. Take more weekend trips around Oregon, especially the coast.
4. Read more books
5. Learn to knit with double point needles for hats and socks
6. Sew more
7. Take more walks around our neighborhood
8. Get outside, even in the rainy winter and spring
9. Bake more
10. Visit more sites around town, especially with the boys
11. Take more pictures
12. Try new restaurants
13. Learn the names of wildflowers
14. Learn more about herbs and how to use them
15. Say Yes more often!
16. Laugh more
17. Live knowing that every day, in all we do, is about learning and education
18. Begin a homeschooling/unschooling plan for the fall
19. Make more crepes *

Just to name a few... I seem to come up with new things often so we'll see how the list grows over the year.

PRINT THIS POST

4 comments:

Adam and Raechell said...

What a nice list of things to do this year. Most seem very relaxing as opposed to the normal change something in the New Year, it looks like you are going to increase doing the things you already love and add in a few new ideas. Very good ideas! :D Enjoy the yummy crepes.

Linda said...

A wonderful list and a wonderful way to embrace the precious life that you have. I like your idea of just slowly thinking about the things you want to do or change.
I'm so glad you're doing so well. That little one will be here before you know it. What joy!

Anonymous said...

I loved reading your list!

"One thing I know for certain is that I'm doing exactly what I've dreamed of. Being a stay-at-home mama... I don't dream of a daytime job, I don't dream of a ministry in the church or elsewhere, I don't wish my days away wanting to get out of the house or needing something to keep me from getting bored." I felt so convicted and inspired by those words and the ones that followed:
"I realize we have the freedom to make our days exactly what we want. And how my greatest wish for all of us is that we embrace living and enjoy it all, no matter how hard life may seem or how happy the current moment is. This is my life, my family."

That was like a word from God straight to my heart. Words I needed to hear. I sometimes feel overwhelmed with my life and slip into complacency and laziness. I want to step back, organize, and ENJOY this life! I want to make my own list and see it fulfilled. After all, this life, these children, ARE my mission-field.

Good post. I enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing.

Clarissa

Tasha Lehman said...

Oh, I so agree with you on how to spend your days! Just living and enjoying every moment with the boys. Love it.