Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Fabric for Haiti... and me

"All my scattering moments are taken up with my needle."

-Ellen Birdseye Wheaton 1851


I've been filling my evenings crocheting row after row, focused only on finishing my blanket. It helps that our 'no new spending' stops me from rushing out and starting new projects that I'm just aching to try. Then one little phone call from my Grandma who says she wants to donate some fabric and I immediately volunteer to go to the fabric store with her. Our church is planning a medical trip to Haiti and they're asking for fabric to take with them. One of our life resolutions is to always have some money aside for people in need. Well how could I pass up a need to send fabric to Haiti? So off we went. I told myself that I was only getting fabric for Haiti... two different fabrics, 3 to 4 yards each. See? I'm not sure what type of clothing they will be used for and for whom, but I'm sure they will find the perfect home.


I did, however, allow myself to deviate just a little. It started with the plan of just looking for color ideas but then I picked up one bolt of fabric and then another and soon I realized that I would have to start on that new project I've been thinking about this past month. I saw an idea for a "Happy Birthday" banner and knew I just had to make it for our family birthday celebrations. I wanted something that could be hung up on the wall for each birthday. Something the boys could look forward to when it was their birthday ... something that could be passed down to their kids if they wanted. And well, since we have a certain birthday coming up for a certain soon-to-be 4 year old I figured now was the perfect time to get the fabric and start it. It's the collection of fabric in the first picture... the one with the little boy and the polka dots in red and those greenish blues.... It took us a while to pick them all out but I love how sweetly they come together.

And this morning, even though I should be finishing up the towels in the laundry, I'm moving them aside to wash the new fabrics. And my plans to start on our taxes early this year (meaning tonight!) may just have to take a step back for a few nights. I can't help it really... it's just calling to be cut and sewn. At least I can say it all started with a good deed... some people in Haiti will be happy we made a trip to the fabric store last night.

PRINT THIS POST

3 comments:

Adam and Raechell said...

The new fabric is so sweet. :)
That is the way that artistic expression is... spur of the moment... just have to do it now. :D
I can't wait to see the finished project.

Linda said...

I love it Andrea. I think the fabrics for Haiti are beautiful and will much appreciated.
I finished knitting a baby blanket the other night and felt bereft because I didn't have another project to start. I plan to rememdy that soon.

Everly Pleasant said...

What lovely fabric!
I've read Study In Brown for a long time, but I just realized that she has a sister! What a lovely discovery, too. It is so good to see that fabric, ready for it's trip to Haiti. I used to live there as a missionary of sorts, and I can tell you, it will be very appreciated! I look forward to visiting your blog more often. I definitely see the resemblance in you and your sister ('s writing.)
Everly