Friday, February 27, 2009

The state of things

Last weekend I had an idea and decided that it just had to be done. So I drove to the paint store, bought 10 samples of paint and started testing them in my kitchen. And this is how it looks, still, today. Every day this week I walked in there and examined and stared and turned my head and tried to envision the space and color. I think I've finally figured out what I want. I'm staying with the green that was in there to begin with. And this means heading back to the paint store to buy a gallon of paint to cover over my "brilliant idea".

Of course my epiphany came with a tagalong that I felt must also be carried out right away. See the mirror on the wall? This is our front room. The room you first walk into when you come into the house. It suffers for a lack of purpose. No one knows what this room is or what it does except to contain a huge mirror. Our piano is stuck right in front of it but it doesn't fit well. So I decided it had to come down. Immediately of course.

So I stayed in my pajamas, grabbed a hammer and screwdriver and started pulling at the baseboards and the wainscoting that covered the bottom half. When it got to the mirror, my plan was to just start pulling the (10 foot) mirror off and to "see what happens". Jeremy just stared at me, left the room, and returned a few minutes later with a rug to cover the floor, a box to put the broken pieces of glass in, gloves, goggles, and shoes for my um, unclad feet. He took over most of the work wearing a cowboy hat to protect his head (he made sure to point out). We pulled and hammered and scraped and eventually, piece by piece, the mirror came down.


With a little help of course....

Finally it was finished. To our surprise, the wall is in pretty decent shape and shouldn't take too much work to fix the little holes and scrape off the remaining glue. Notice the green paint in the bottom corner? I didn't keep my paint samples quarantined to the kitchen... they started spreading to other rooms as well.

After craning my neck and squinting my eyes in hopes of seeing a full room in a tiny patch of color, I think I've finally decided on the paint for this room as well and it's not green OR blue. In the meantime, while certain walls are having identity crises, I'm enjoying a leisurely friday afternoon playing a very crazy game of memory with Ian and crocheting in between turns.

(See where my mind is lately? Tearing down mirrors, painting random walls, and bouncing between knitting and crocheting which have sent my fingers tripping a few times. But I discovered a new yarn store and I just had to get a few skeins of yarn and now another project is on the way.)

PRINT THIS POST

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You brave, brave lady...I just know it will all look just lovely when you are done :)

Anonymous said...

Good thing Jeremy was there to save you from calamity! :) I'm also gald to see that I am not the only one who does things, sometimes, on a whim without forethought. Looking forward to hearing about what you do in the space now that the mirror is gone.

Tasha Lehman said...

That cracks me up! I often do the same thing...jump into a project and then before you know it the whole house is in shambles! It's fun though, isn't it? Hope your walls soon find their identity and can't wait to see what the end results look like!

Adam and Raechell said...

How fun, can't wait to see before and after pics. ;)

Those are the cutest memory tiles, where did you find those? (I love the game of backgammon because of the feel of the heavy weighted chips that my mother's board had. I bet Ian and Sawyer will be similar with these memory pieces.)

What is your new yarn project going to be?